07 October, 2008

i've been busy...

Yep, it's official... I am back into crafting. After the gherkin's gran & pa left on Sunday after a week long (almost) visit, I returned to my spare room floor and sewing machine two days ago, and made the most of the little man's day sleeps. I have (as always) a few projects on the go - here is a sneak peek...


I also whipped up a floor mat for the little Gherkin to roll around on, as he was starting to hang off the edges of the mats we were using just weeks ago. He isn't rolling yet, but he is doing 180 degree turns in his cot, so when I go in during a day sleep he is often upside down in his cot. You just can't do a 180 on a small mat!

To make the mat I used a cute print flannelette which I bought before we had the Gherkin (Mr Pickles is quite concerned now that there is too much pink on the fabric), with a cream flannelette backing, And I was feeling adventurous - for the first time ever I put wadding in the middle. I was trying to avoid binding dramas I have read about in so many other blogs, so I tried to cheat by creating a fabric "envelope", inserting the wadding and then topstitching. Probably needless to say, it's lumpy. But the Gherkin didn't seem to mind (or at least, he didn't complain!), so it should to the trick.

Any ideas or links on EASY quilt binding or mat stuffing would be much appreciated!!!

Oh, and late last week I also treated myself and bought one of these:

I reckon this should come to good use when I make more sunhats - I can't wait to try this out!

Anyway, I'm heading off. Got a date with the hairdresser (this time with the Gherkin in tow). Cross your fingers for me!

Chat soon xo



3 comments:

Jodie said...

he looks thrilled with it!!!

Anonymous said...

About the biais tape maker: it is surely a very handy tool! But if ever you need a different size for your biais tape, DON'T buy another of those tools: use this DIY version of a bias tape maker:

http://creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy/2007/11/diy-version-of.html?cid=114408360#comment-114408360

Stomper Girl said...

I hope the new haircut goes well. Your gherkin is just lovely by the way!

Thanks

to my other half who puts up with the mess, makes me happy and keeps me sane.
to my beautiful boys who give me so much i want to remember and make the everyday something to treasure.
to my mum who alway let me play with fabric and the good scissors, and who knows a lot of songs.
to my dad who was always happy for us to make a mess and who laughs at us when we deserve it.
to both parents for making sure i still got the work done.
to my dear friends for listening and for sharing the laughs.
and, to you for visiting!